There has been a church at Tibshelf since the twelfth century though no trace remains of the original building. The oldest remaining part of the church is the tower which dates from the 15th century. Parts of the north aisle date from 1729. The chancel and south aisle date from 1910 after a fire destroyed that which had been built in the 18th century.
In the church yard are the graves of six local men who died in World War 1 and three who died in World War 2, as well as a war memorial with names of the fallen from the village.
St John the Baptist was a prophet whose preaching prepared the way for Jesus’s ministry. He was beheaded by King Herod in the 1st century AD.
Visit Derbyshire Churches for more information.
ST JOHN THE BAPTIST CHURCH